We have continued focusing nearly entirely on addressing technical debt. A lot of design work has begun for the next ledger era, but we do not yet have anything concrete to share.
Technical debt issues completed
- [issue-1676][pull-2992] We have finally removed the ledger dependency on the
cardano-preludepackage. It was barely used in the ledger repository, and it added a dependency that we did not want to maintain. It was a bit difficult to remove, and we had to coordinate removing it from cardano-base. A lot ended up going into pull-2992, due to the coordination effort, and we ended up updating Plutus as well. This means that we've now also made a lot of progress on the problematic cost model serialization issues described in issue-2902. In particular, after we resolve issue-3014, we will not have to wait an epoch before releasing a cost model for a new version of Plutus, as we had to do for the Vasil HF.
- [issue-3046][pull-3055] We moved a module that is now only used in Byron to a Byron package.
- [issue-3047][pull-3054] We improved the interface to the
- [pull-3044] We debugged and fixed a tricky compilation issue. Certain kinds of field updates were adding approximately 20 minutes to our compile time!
- [issue-2932][pull-3036] As a part of our ongoing re-organization of the codebase, we
have added a
Cardano.Ledger.[Era].Coremodule to each ledger era that has a TxBody class. Most classes defined in the era should go in this new module. We also re-export the
Cardno.Ledger.Coremodule and the previous
Cardano.Ledger.[Era].Coremodules from each era.
Technical debt in progress
- [issue-3034][issue-3035][node-issue-4421] We are continuing to write benchmarks to understand exactly where
all the time is being spent on executing the
TICKFtransition. The consolidation of the per-stake-credential stake distribution to the per-stake-pool distribution does seem to account for a large amount of time (near a second as written, which we have down to about half a second with some optimizations), but this does not account for everything. Applying the reward update may also be a big contributing factor.
- [pull-3033][pull-3038][pull-3041] A separate team is working on upgrading all the cardano-node repositories to work with ghc 9.2.4. We have been helping out with this effort.
- The nix scripts used to build our new formal ledger model do not work consistently for everyone, and we have been working on fixing these issues.
- [issue-3014] We are still working on adding a versioning scheme to all of the ledger serializers.